Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Week 29 (July 15-21): Automobiles

 Following on from 'Planes' and 'Trains', this week's #52Ancestors prompt is 'Automobiles', which brings to mind stories of my parents' wedding in 1967, which featured my father's beloved Chev Biscayne.

The Biscayne was one of the few cars my father owned during his lifetime, and was definitely his favourite.  Driven mainly for trips from the sheep station on the Darling River when my parents lived into Mildura or down to Melbourne, it was also the wedding car when my parents married.

Proudly decorated for the event, by the end of the reception it had, to my father's dismay, been liberally 'decorated' with toilet paper and eggs and was driven away trailing streamers and tin cans.  It was a story I heard many times during my childhood.


The Biscayne was my father's pride and joy, and he owned it for many years.  I have fond memories of family outings in that car as a young child, before it was eventually replaced with a 1967 Chrysler Valiant, in which my sister and I both learned to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment