Saturday, June 9, 2018

Week 20 - Another Language - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

One of the biggest challenges I have found in researching my family history is when I find myself faced with researching in another language.  I'm sure this is a fairly common problem - there would be very few of us who have 100% English ancestors.  And even is you do, eventually you will start to find old documents and records written in Latin - assuming you are lucky enough to trace your family far back enough. 

Currently among my ancestors I have a branch who came from Germany - and I find my one year of high school German is simply not enough when working with many of the documents I have which are written in German.  Google translate is a huge help when I am drafting letters, visiting German websites and so on, but many of the old  documents I have are hand written, and it simply cannot translate them for me.  I sit there with my English-German dictionary and work through the document word by word, writing out an English copy, frequently muttering away to myself as I work.  At least my year of study - so many years ago now - helps a bit.

The further I go back, the more the old hand written documents I find look like another language, even when they are written in English.  Handwriting can be a challenge because not only has the English language evolved over history, spelling changed, the way we abbreviate words changed, just being able to interpret someone's unique style of writing can be a mystery and challenge in and of itself.  Add in some fading of the ink or damage to the document itself, and some old handwriting may as well be in another language for all the sense it makes to me on the first read.

Whether translating another language or simply deciphering old English that may as well be another language, I find the key is to go slowly, understand what the document itself is about, re-write the text myself letter by letter, even reading aloud can help me comprehend the details.  And throwing in a good dose of patience helps too!

No comments:

Post a Comment