Thursday, June 7, 2018

Week 19 - Mother's Day - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Mother's Day has so many special memories attached to it, and this year was the third Mother's Day since my own mother passed away.
During my childhood, Mother's Day always started with a special breakfast for Mum, cooked by my father and, as we grew up, by my sister and I.  After one or two efforts at supplying breakfast in bed, we admitted defeat and allowed Mum to eat at the kitchen table - she hated eating in bed and after a few tries - "But its MOTHER'S DAY!!!" - we abandoned the idea of serving her a tray.  Presents were never hugely expensive as there wasn't much money to spend, but we always tried to make the day special, usually with something handmade.  Looking back, I sometimes wonder how much was special and how much was stressful for Mum, being made to sit aside while her husband and children messed about in HER KITCHEN throughout the day.  At least Dad always made sure we cleaned up afterwards.
Inexpertly made cards were received with enthusiasm and were often accompanied by equally inexpertly made gifts, at least until I learned to knit properly and could finally produce gloves, scarves and other articles that fit and didn't fall apart.  Equally, as we grew up the quality and taste of the Mother's Day meals my sister and I produced increased until Mum could actually look forward to something not just edible but actually enjoyable.  Flowers were usually from our own garden - Dad grew Chrysanthemums, and my mother wasn't the only mum in the area to receive a big bunch from our garden on her special day.
Sometimes our enthusiasm outstripped our ability, but Mother's Day was always a day to thank Mum for all she did for us.  We always tried to avoid the more commercial aspects of the day - rather than fancy, expensive gifts we focused more on time together, handmade gifts and cards, and spending time as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment