Friday, November 4, 2022

#52Ancestors - Week 43 - Organised

Keeping our records, papers and other family history treasures organised is an ongoing challenge for even the most dedicated researchers, and I am no exception.  I admit I struggle to keep my files and papers properly filed and up to date.  Every now and then I find I have to step back, stop actual researching and catch up on the less glamorous task of filing, cross-referencing and getting myself properly organised. 

I expect we are all guilty of occasionally letting filing and updating get a little behind.  Many of my printed family sheets, that I use when researching, are covered in scribbled notes and references to new documents I have found and need to be typed up properly and new clean copies printed out.  My 'new' folder of documents that I need to check are properly referenced on my family group sheets and filed in their appropriate folders is starting to bulge.  My backup files could do with updating too. 

While visiting my sister recently I spent a happy day digitising family photos, so I now also have a folder of digital photos that need to be labelled and filed properly.  I really have a fair bit of work to do.

Organising our research is one of those ongoing tasks that can easily get away from us if we are not vigilant.  Over the next few weekends I plan to spent time getting my files up to date and properly organised.  Then for a few days I can bask in the glow of accomplishment, looking at the results of my work, before I start researching again, make some finds, and before I know it I will once again have a folder of papers waiting to be organised properly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment