Monday, February 28, 2022

Really Useful Podcasts - Episode 6

The Family History Federation has now launched Episode 6 of its new series of Really Useful Podcasts.

 
This new episode focuses on Newspapers.  The website describes it : 

"Joe is joined by Mish Holman, professional genealogist who is particularly interested in theatre ancestors and census enumerators, Margaret Roberts, speaker, editor of the Playing Pasts online sports history magazine and Publicity Officer for the FHS of Cheshire, Paul Chiddicks, blogger and Family Tree Magazine’s ‘Dear Paul’ and Natalie Pithers, professional family historian, blogger and host of the YouTube/Podcast series #TwiceRemoved.

Newspapers are a superb yet under-used resource for family history. We discuss the kinds of information you can find within them ranging from accidents to awards and how to go about searching for genealogy gold."

Any long term readers of this blog will know how much I LOVE newspapers, especially the magnificent and free Australian newspaper site Trove.  From family notices to court reports, sporting achievements to business advertisements, stories of shark attacks and vagrancy, destitute widows and shipping arrivals, I have found so many wonderful things in the newspapers about members of my family.

As more and more newspapers are digitised and added to the collection, I keep finding snippets that add to my family history.  Thanks to newspapers I discovered that my great uncle Alfred Pummeroy, a jockey, was fined for incompetence.  While searching death notices I discovered my great grandfather James Nicholas Clark and great great grandfather John Clark were both members of Masonic Lodges.

So take some time searching old newspapers - you never know what you might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment