Sunday, September 12, 2021

Memories of September 11

I find it hard to believe that we have just passed the 20th anniversary of the September 11 attacks in the United States.  How can it be 20 years since that dreadful day?

I doubt anyone will ever forget the events of that morning, where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news:

• At 8:46 a.m., AA 11 slammed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
• At 9:03 a.m., UA175 slammed into the South Tower.
• At 9:37 a.m., AA77 crashed into the Pentagon’s west side.
• At 9:59 a.m., the South Tower imploded and fell, raining debris and ash on the city.
• At 10:03 a.m., UA93 crashed into a field in the Pennsylvania countryside.
• And at 10:29 a.m., the North Tower collapsed from the top down. A cloud of ash turned day to night in the narrow streets of lower Manhattan.

In those terrible moments between 8:46 a.m. and 10:29 a.m., nearly 3,000 men, women and children lost their lives.  The youngest was two. The oldest was 85. 

Where I live in Australia, the clock is 14 hours ahead of New York.  So at the time of the first attack, it was 10:46pm my time.  I was already asleep.  Like much of the rest of Australia, I woke up to the news of the attacks on the morning of September 12. 

My family heard the news on the radio at 7:00am - there had been a terrorist attack in the US and the World Trade Centre in New York had been hit by a hijacked plane.  We rushed to turn on our TV.  As the picture came on, the first thing we saw was a replay of the second plane hitting the south tower.  For several minutes we weren't sure if this was live, or had happened several hours ago.

I was late for work that day.

In the library where I work, we dug out an old TV from our storeroom and set it up out in the public area of the building, keeping the news on all day.  People spoke in more hushed voices than usual.  Everyone was shocked.

While cleaning out the family home after my parents passed away, I found an thick notepad filled with writing.  It belonged to my mother, and in it she had recorded the entire first Gulf War, starting with the September 11 attacks.  It is her record of those events and another important document in my family history.  

It reminds me that we are all living through history, and how important it is to record the major events we have lived through, and pass our memories on to those who come after.  Because come events should always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment