Friday, December 20, 2019

Christmas Traditions

Christmas is almost upon us once more (where HAS the year gone??).  The tree is up, the cat has been extracted from the tree (several times), gifts have been wrapped, cards written and sent, decorations placed around the house and a CD of carols plays in the background.  Toys have been donated to the local toy drive and I have had a marvellous afternoon being a helper at a Sensitive Santa for special needs children.  The festive season is upon me.

So now it is time for a rummage in the DVD cupboard for one of my family's favorite Christmas traditions - on Christmas Eve we will watch 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol'.

It is a tradition that we have had since I was a child and we watched it one Christmas on TV.  Much searching from my mother produced a video of the Carol and a tradition was born.  My sister and I soon knew the entire movie off by heart, but even as teenagers the tradition of watching "The Muppet's Christmas Carol' on Christmas Eve prevailed.  It continued as we became adults and spent Christmas with our parents, was tolerated by baffled partners and friends, and after our parents passed was continued by my sister and I.

When the original video wore out and DVDs became the norm, another search was undertaken and a copy located on DVD.  Two years ago I came across it again on disc while on holiday and promptly purchased it as a backup, much to the amusement of several fellow travellers who were promptly filled in on the importance of this simple movie.  That night, even though it was April, seven adults sat around a hotel TV and watched 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol'.

Every family has their own way of celebrating special occasions, and this one is ours.  So as many other families settle down to watch Christmas Carols on TV on Christmas Eve, my sister and I will be happily ensconced in my living room, with drinks and mince pies on hand, once again watching "The Muppet's Christmas Carol'.  We will both enjoy it to the hilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment