Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Alice Pummeroy - Another Piece to the Puzzle

A short time ago I posted about my great aunt Alice May Pummeroy, who eluded me for some time until I discovered she had emigrated from Victoria, Australia to New Zealand where she married as May Alice to David Moorhead.  I traced her through the census in New Zealand before she moved back to Victoria with her husband, where he died in 1951.

Fellow genealogist Clare has now sent me another piece to the puzzle, with a death notice and cemetery record which shows May Alice Moorhead died 1st September 1989, age 92, in Salisbury North, South Australia.  She was cremated at Enfield Memorial Park, SA.

Why she chose to move from Melbourne, Victoria to South Australia I don't know - possibly she had children who settled there and she moved to be closer to them.  All her siblings lived and died in Victoria - she was the one who travelled away.  This just goes to show that people can change their names, move to places you don't expect, and you just need to keep looking and broaden your search if you don't find them where you expect them.

A fresh pair of eyes doesn't hurt either.  Thanks Clare!

No comments:

Post a Comment