Monday, October 15, 2018

Week 38 - Unusual Source - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

The prompt for Week 38 (where has the year GONE??) is Unusual Source, and it sent me back through my records looking for odd bits and pieces I have picked up over the years.

I have plenty of records from the usual sources.  Birth/Baptism, Marriage and Death/Burial records from civil registrations and church records, censuses and electoral rolls, newspaper articles, directories, wills, military files - the list goes on.  For this post I need things slightly more exotic.

Amongst the more individual documents I have found are things like prison records, asylum records, apprenticeship papers and work references.  These types of documents I only have a few of, and many have required more effort to trace and obtain.

One unique record in my files is the workhouse admission register for one of my several-times-great uncles, Henry Argent.  Henry was a carpenter by trade and was admitted to the workhouse on Saturday 13th May 1876.  He was 70 years of age and suffering from bronchitis, and he died barely 2 weeks later.
1876 Workhouse Admission for Henry Argent

No comments:

Post a Comment