Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Accentuate the Positive Geneameme 2023

I am responding once again to the wonderful Jill Ball with her annual challenge.  I'm looking forward to reading all the responses from my fellow Genealogists out there.

1.  An elusive ancestor I found was – Thomas Farmer, Master Mariner (see post below)

2.  A precious family photo I found was – nothing new this year, but I have managed to put some time into making sure all my old photos are digitized and backed up.

3.  An ancestor's grave I found was – several online, including the previously mentioned Thomas Farmer.

4.  An important record I found was – Every record I find is important!  A significant find was the marriage certificate of my 4xGreat Grandfather John Pummeroy to Sarah Morgan.  Every other document I have gives her maiden name as Morgan, so I had always looked for their marriage under that name.  Subsequent research established that Morgan or Moreman was Sarah’s mother’s maiden name, her father was William Lindsey and she married as Sarah Lindsey, to John Pomroy in her home village of Woodbury in Devon.   One brick wall demolished!

5.  A newly found family member shared - notes on common ancestors.  I keep basic trees on several sites - Ancestry, FamilySearch, My Heritage, etc mainly as 'cousin bait' to make contact with others researching in the same tree so we can share information - and every now and then I strike it lucky.

6.  A geneasurprise I received was - so many genealogical websites, archives and companies who made special efforts to run meetings and conferences online to keep going during the pandemic continue to do so.  I find this so convenient as I can attend events from home that I would otherwise have no hope of accessing.

7.  A new piece of software or website I mastered was – Ancestry’s latest DNA update.

8. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was – Zoom, Skype and all the platforms that allow me to attend meetings, classes, conferences etc online. 

9. A genealogy conference/seminar/webinar from which I learnt something new was - RootsTech.  Another conference which continues to be held online and free.

10. I am proud of the presentation I gave at/to – all the branches of Campaspe Library.  It was wonderful to start running classes again after two years of the pandemic then having to cancel again in 2022 because of the worst floods on record.

11. I taught a friend how to - use Trove to access historic Australian newspapers and gazettes.

12. A great repository/archive/library I visited was - the National Archives UK - online.  Once again I've downloaded a number of wills and other digital records this year.

13. A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was – Henry VIII : the Heart and the Crown by historian Alison Weir, following up her series ‘Six Tudor Queens, which focused on each of King Henry VIII's wives, this book tells events from the King’s perspective.

14. An achievement during the year was – keeping my files (fairly) up to date.  I have always struggled to make sure I keep my files in good order, and after spending so much time during the lockdowns getting them organised and up-to-date I am determined not to relapse!

15. Another positive I would like to share is ... The wonderful genealogical community out there.  So many people willing to help each other, suggest solutions to research problems, share their knowledge and expertise, and give back to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment