Friday, October 20, 2023

Photos in the News

Over the years I have blogged on numerous occasions of the successes I have had searching in old newspapers for articles about my family.  I recently had another great find.

Locating a photo of an ancestor in the newspapers makes an article even more exciting.  I recently discovered that my great uncle, Alfred Edward Pummeroy, worked for a few years as a jockey, so I headed to the newspapers to see if he was mentioned in racing news.

To my delight, not only did I find several articles about his short (and not terribly successful) racing career, but I also found a photograph of him with a couple of other jockeys.

Alfred is pictured in the centre of the three standing jockeys, and it is the only image I have of him as a young man, which makes this photo from the newspapers even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment