Monday, January 23, 2023

In the News

I was very excited at Christmas to receive a gift of a 3 month subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, and have been spending quite a bit of my free time since happily researching.  The variety of articles I am uncovering is incredible, expanding and enriching my knowledge of my ancestors' lives.  Below are a few of the gems I have uncovered.

During my previous research I already knew Christopher Prentice worked as a Water Bailiff.  I hadn't know this was an elected position until I found the article above, which was placed in the Ipswich Journal on Saturday 12 September 1778 thanking those who had elected him to the position for their trust.

6 years later Christopher was standing for election to the Water Bailiff position again, and took out another notice in the Ipswich Journal applying for re-election.

In the same newspaper in 1796 another ancestor, William Hart, gave notice to the public that he had taken over running the Fleece Inn in Boxford, and hoped to continue to serve the public there.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment