Friday, August 19, 2022

#52 Ancestors - Week 33 - Service

Many families have a history of service.  To me, service is not just serving in the military, but also serving the community in other ways.  Serving in the Police, SES, firefighting and in medicine and welfare.  The events of the past few years have highlighted the important roles filled by our doctors, nurses, paramedics and ambulance crews and other hospital personnel.  Volunteering for community groups and welfare services - undertaken quietly and without expectation of reward by so many.  

Several years ago I learned that my Great Uncle David James Clark received an Order of Australian medal for his service to the community.  By searching the website Its an Honour, which explains the Australian Honours system and allows people to search their database of Honours recipients, I was able to discover more.

The website his the following citation


While I have the military records of many family members who served in the First and Second World Wars, this is the first civilian honour I have found, and highlights another form of service for me, which I need to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment