Saturday, April 16, 2022

Ancestry DNA Update

Ancestry has again updated the ethnicity estimates for those who have done DNA tests with them, as well as adding a new feature showing Ethnicity Inheritance - an estimate of which parent testers have inherited each portion of their ethnicity from.

Once again my Ethnicity Estimates have changed slightly, and once again they have moved a little further from what I expected.  My estimate is now 45% England, 32% Scotland, 14% Norway, 3% Wales, 2% Ivory Coast & Ghana, 2% Sweden & Denmark and 2% Ireland.  This is different to my last estimate, which was 54% England, 33% Scotland, 9% Norway, 2% Ivory Coast and Ghana and 2% Ireland.  My original estimate, back in 2018, was 65% England, 22% Scotland & Ireland, 8% Germanic Europe, 2% Sweden,  2% Ivory Coast & Ghana.

My known German heritage has still vanished, turning into unexpected Scandinavian ethnicity.  My Scottish ethnicity is unexpectedly high, and my Irish extremely low.  I still have no explanation for the fairly consistent 2% Ivory Coast & Ghana, and every update seems to diminish my dominant English heritage even further.

My Ethnicity Inheritance makes it immediately obvious to me that Parent 1 must be my mother and Parent 2 my father.  Parent 2 is almost completely English, and my father's family comes almost exclusively from Essex and Suffolk.There is a small amount of Scandinavian heritage there as well.

My mother would logically be Parent 1.  It is from her grandparents and great grandparents that I trace my German, Irish and Scottish ancestors, although I have no explanation as to why I have inherited absolutely no English ethnicity from her.


The new tables for Ethnicity Inheritance are another great tool for tracing how we receive the Ethnicity Estimates provided by Ancestry and where any unexpected results may come from.

While the numbers raise some questions for me, they are still a fascinating insight into my heritage and another tool to help my further understand where I come from, and I hope to spend some time over Easter exploring more.

Although I would still love to know how my German ancestry became Norwegian.

And if anyone out there can give me an ancestor from the Ivory Coast / Ghana, I would love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment