Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Memories of Covid-19

As restrictions due to the global pandemic ease for us in Australia, many archives and libraries are recording for future generations people's experiences of the crisis.  As family historians, we need to do the same thing and record our own experiences of this time.

The Covid19 pandemic has been (and still is) a major historical event.  For all of us who have lived through it, there will be memories of Covid, both positive and negative, that stand out.  There were, and still are, new routines, changes in how we live, work, communicate, shop, relax, learn, and more.  We will never forget the sight of police blockading state borders, images of empty streets at midday in our cities, the shock of walking into a supermarket and seeing panic buying or stripped shelves.  Then there are the more personal experiences - business closures and work stand downs, learning to work from home or change our daily routines.

Then there are the positive experiences.  Teddy bears and rainbows in windows, people standing at the end of their driveways on ANZAC Day, the joy of getting out and about after lockdowns ease.  For many of us the simple pleasures in life have taken on new significance as we rediscover them after the trial of lockdowns.

For myself, there are a number of memories I have recorded already.  Living in a border town, the sight of police on the bridge between our twin towns came as a shock the first time I saw them, even though I already knew they were there.  There was the shock and uncertainty of being stood down from my job, not once but twice.  The sight of neighbours all out standing at the end of their driveways for dawn service on ANZAC Day.  The friends who appeared on the road outside my house to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me (in an appropriately socially distanced manner) when my 50th birthday fell during the second big lockdown.

These stories are all part of my personal contribution to my family history and I hope that one day, years from now, family members will look back at the stories and emotions I have recorded and it will help them understand the impact Covid19 has had on our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment