Sunday, March 8, 2020

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 10 - Family Photo

Over the years I have been quite fortunate in accumulating old family photographs from a variety of sources.  Many are copies of photos held by family members, while others have come from libraries and archives, local history societies, distant relatives and heritage projects.  While the bulk of my collection are good digital scans I also have a number of original photos that I have inherited.  All my originals have been scanned for future preservation and happily shared with fellow family members.  I have also detailed who, where and when in as much detail as I can for each one - my pet hate is the anonymous photo of nobody-knows-who included in an album of family members.

One of my favourite family photos is the one above of my father Peter with his siblings and their father, Frank Walter Green.  Dad was one of 10 children and to the best of my knowledge it is the only photo of all 10 siblings together, which makes the scanned image I have even more precious.  And yes, one of the brothers does have a beer bottle balanced on his head!  That would be Ernest, known to all as Squib, the second eldest of the Green siblings.  If there are any relatives out there who have another photo of all 10 siblings together, I would love to hear from you and am happy to share copies!

Other favourite family photos include a few very old portrait photos from my fathers family back in England.  Again, I only have digital copies that I have printed out, but a good digital copy is still very worth having.
Isobelle Mary Green (nee Argent)

Sarah Jane Pike (nee Hart)
From my mother's family, too, I have a few favourites.  Below is a scan of a mock gambling scene featuring my great grandfather James Nicholas Clark, the original given to me by my grandmother many years ago.
James Nicholas Clark
Having a photo of relatives, especially those who died before I was born, helps bring them to life for me and I will always consider myself fortunate to have the photos and scans that I have collected over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment