Sunday, May 20, 2018

Week 17 - Cemeteries - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 17, focusing on Cemeteries, should have been done the last week in April.  Here I am, almost to the end of May, and again I am playing catch-up.  Where has the time gone?
I have had a fair bit of luck with cemeteries and headstones, especially in finding records and photographs online, although it is still wonderful when I get to visit an ancestor's grave in person.  It is just not always possible, and websites like Find-A-Grave or Australian Cemeteries are sites I visit frequently.
My ancestor David Mulholland was born in 1830 in Ireland and died 8 April 1902 in Eurobin.  His wife Eliza Jane (McCrae) was also born in Ireland and died 28 October 1925 in Eurobin.  Both are buried in Bright Cemetery, and there are photographs of their family plot available on several websites.  The ones below are from the Find-A-Grave website I mentioned earlier.

Mulholland family plot, Bright Cemetery, Victoria
David and Eliza had 14 children together, some of whom died quite young.  Several of the children are also buried in the plot and are commemorated on the main headstone or on the smaller memorials on either side.  Finding a headstone and/or cemetery record is always exciting, as they can contain quite a lot of information and I always check both, as the cemetery record may contain different information.  Below I have included the details of the Mulholland family included in the Bright Cemetery Register, which includes names, birth, death and burial dates, section, block and lot of the graves, religion, cause of death and other information, such as family relationships.  Not all of this is included on the headstones, and it adds so much to my research.

Details of the Mulholland Family buried in Bright Cemetery


Main headstone
One of the smaller headstones in the plot

No comments:

Post a Comment