Sunday, April 8, 2018

Week 13 - The Old Homestead -52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

For the #52ancestors topic 'The old Homestead' I had a few properties to choose from, but I have chosen to focus on Fordham Hall, the property in Essex, England where my father's family lived for several generations.
Fordham Hall is located in the village of Fordham in Great Holland, and the family appears in numerous records - birth, deaths and marriages ; wills and probates ; newspaper articles ; censuses.  While they did not actually own the property, they were the tenants for a number of generations, until my grandfather decided to emigrate to Australia.  The house still stands today, and is run by the Woodland Trust.
My 3xGreat-Grandfather Isaac Green first appears in the 1841 census living in the hall, and he and his family can be followed through the census records until Isaac's final appearance in 1881.
Isaac Green in the 1841 Census, age 48
Isaac Green in the 1851 census
Isaac Green in the 1861 census
Isaac Green in the 1871 census
Isaac Green in the 1881 census
Although I have not yet had the opportunity to travel to England, several members of my family have visited over the years, and have made the journey back to the old homestead.  During my research I have acquired a number of photos of the house, and of several members of my family who inhabited it.  One day I hope to make the journey and see it for myself.
Fordham Hall c1990

No comments:

Post a Comment